Fragment of a "Magic Wand" or Clapper
Hathor, one of the most important Egyptian goddesses, was associated with fertility end child rearing. Carved versions of her head, with its distinctive cow ears, were often used as protective amulets. This example formed part of magical device that was used either as a wand to ward off evil spirits or as one of a pair of musical clappers.
- Medium: Ivory
- Place Excavated: Sawama, Egypt
- Dates: ca. 1539-1292 B.C.E.
- Dynasty: XVIII Dynasty
- Period: New Kingdom
- Dimensions: 1 5/16 x 5 5/16 in. (3.3 x 13.5 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, Egyptian Orientation Gallery, 3rd Floor
- Accession Number: 14.614
- Credit Line: Gift of the Egypt Exploration Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Fragment of a "Magic Wand" or Clapper, ca. 1539-1292 B.C.E. Ivory, 1 5/16 x 5 5/16 in. (3.3 x 13.5 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of the Egypt Exploration Fund , 14.614. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Small fragmentary portion of ivory wand ending in a human head below which is head of Hathor.
- Record Completeness: Best (82%)