This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
- Artist: Waldemar Rannus, American, born Estonia, 1880-1944
- Medium: Ebony
- Place Made: United States
- Dates: before 1927
- Dimensions: 15 3/8 x 13 1/4 x 13 3/8 in. (39.1 x 33.7 x 34 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Unsigned
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: 27.740
- Credit Line: Museum Collection Fund
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Waldemar Rannus (American, born Estonia, 1880-1944). Le Negre, before 1927. Ebony, 15 3/8 x 13 1/4 x 13 3/8 in. (39.1 x 33.7 x 34 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Museum Collection Fund, 27.740. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Section of tree trunk with front half scooped out around an emerging carved head of a black man, head turned slightly to proper right; roughly gouged surface around head on interior, exterior surface smooth. Condition: Good; few chips in wood around bottom edge and scratches on back.
- Record Completeness: Good (74%)