This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Rip Van Winkle
- Artist: Daniel Chester French, American, 1850-1931
- Medium: Bronze
- Dates: 1925
- Dimensions: 19 x 6 x 6 1/2 in., 14.2 lb. (48.3 x 15.2 x 16.5 cm, 6.4kg) (show scale)
- Markings: Stamped along bottom edge of base at back: "ROMAN BRONZE WORKS N-Y"
- Signature: Incised on top of base, proper right side: "D C FRENCH / 1925 / ©"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: 28.61
- Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Benjamin Prince
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Daniel Chester French (American, 1850-1931). Rip Van Winkle, 1925. Bronze, 19 x 6 x 6 1/2 in., 14.2 lb. (48.3 x 15.2 x 16.5 cm, 6.4kg). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mrs. Benjamin Prince, 28.61. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Statuette of old man with long hair and beard, wearing tattered clothes, wide brimmed hat, and holey boots; stands on square base with proper right foot stepping forward; raises proper right hand to lips and proper left hand holds barrel of musket that leans on ground. Condition: Good.
- Record Completeness: Good (76%)