Spacer Bead Inscribed for King Aramatelqo
Throughout Egyptian history, Kush was fabled for its gold and other resources. Despite the small size of this necklace spacer, it demonstrates well the master craftsmanship of Kushite artisans. Each side has seven holes, through which as many strands of a necklace were threaded to prevent them from tangling. The owner may have been the Kushite king Aramatelqo or one of his courtiers. Aramatelqo was one of the Kushite kings who never ruled Egypt and yet adopted much of Egyptian culture. The inscription is in hieroglyphs; Aramatelqo's names are in cartouches, and the grammar and the phraseology are completely Egyptian. On one side, the inscription reads, "Son of Re, the lord of diadems, Aramatelqo, living forever, beloved of Hathor, lady of Heliopolis, mistress of the gods, given/giver of life." The text on the other side reads, "The king of Upper and Lower Egypt, Wadjkare, living forever, beloved of Re-Horakhty, the great god, the lord of heaven, given/giver of life forever. "
- Culture: Nubian
- Medium: Sheet gold
- Place Excavated: Meroe, Sudan
- Dates: ca. 568-555 B.C.E.
- Period: Napatan Period
- Dimensions: 1 13/16 x 1 1/8 x 3/8 in. (4.6 x 2.8 x 0.9 cm) Weight: 0.07 oz. (show scale)
- Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, 19th Dynasty to Roman Period, Martha A. and Robert S. Rubin Gallery, 3rd Floor
- Accession Number: 49.29
- Credit Line: Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Nubian. Spacer Bead Inscribed for King Aramatelqo, ca. 568-555 B.C.E. Sheet gold, 1 13/16 x 1 1/8 x 3/8 in. (4.6 x 2.8 x 0.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 49.29. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Sheet gold space bead, shape of a truncated pyramid. Long sides inscribed with incised nomen, prenomen and epithets of King Aramatelqo. Short sides undecorated and pierced with seven circular openings for insertion of necklace strands. Interior hollow. Condition: Intact.
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)