Padmapani, the Lotus Bearer, is the most important of all bodhisattvas. Embodying compassion, he is the presiding deity of the present kalpa (eon).
- Medium: Bronze with traces of gold and inlay of semiprecious stones
- Place Made: Nepal
- Dates: 12th-13th century
- Dimensions: 8 1/4 x 2 5/8 in. (21 x 6.7 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Asian Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 77.198
- Credit Line: Gift of Georgia and Michael de Havenon
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Standing Padmapani, 12th-13th century. Bronze with traces of gold and inlay of semiprecious stones, 8 1/4 x 2 5/8 in. (21 x 6.7 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Georgia and Michael de Havenon, 77.198. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Standing figure of Bodhisattva Padmapani with his principal attribute, the lotus, in his left hand. His right hand rests at his side in the varada mudra (palm forward, the wish-granting gesture). The figure is elaborately adorned with a luxuriant sash that falls between his legs and he wears the sacred thread, a jeweled crown, a necklace with pendant jewels, armlets, bracelets and girdle. The dhoti is not delineated. The figure stands on a lotus pedestal, which is worked only at the front. A long prong protrudes from this base, once used to insert the object into a larger base. This beautifully modeled piece is dated to the twelfth century on the basis of several features characteristic of early Nepali bronzes and stones, especially the naturalism of physiognomy and stance, the way the drapery falls in cascades of folds, and the manner of depicting the lotus as a stylized, frontal open bud, and the base, which is only complete 2/3 of the way around. Condition: Old surface cleaning and lacquering on torso of figure and semiprecious stones missing from figure's right armlet and bracelet, necklace and crown, and stone is partially damaged at center of lotus blossom. Traces of gilding remain on surface. Piece arrives with its own base.
- Record Completeness: Good (79%)