Seated Statuette of Si-Hathor
This statuette combines the seated image of the deceased with the base where the inscription would normally be carved. Here, the artist carved the offering prayer directly onto Si-Hathor’s garment, a solution that saved on the amount of stone to be purchased.
- Medium: Limestone, painted
- Reportedly From: Thebes, Egypt
- Dates: ca. 1818-1630 B.C.E.
- Dynasty: late XII Dynasty-early XIII Dynasty
- Period: Middle Kingdom
- Dimensions: 10 1/4 x 6 x 7 5/8 in. (26 x 15.2 x 19.4 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, Old Kingdom to 18th Dynasty, Egyptian Galleries, 3rd Floor
- Accession Number: 37.97E
- Credit Line: Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Seated Statuette of Si-Hathor, ca. 1818-1630 B.C.E. Limestone, painted, 10 1/4 x 6 x 7 5/8 in. (26 x 15.2 x 19.4 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 37.97E. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Limestone statue of a man named Sa-Hathor represented squatting, on a round-backed base. He wears a long skirt which envelops his legs. This statue has been described as a “scribe” statue. On the portion of the skirt covering the lap and between the two hands which rest palms down on the thighs is an inscription. The figure wears a heavy wig once painted black. Black also are the base and the details of the eyes; the skin is reddish brown; the garment is white. Within the plain-incised signs of the inscription are the remains of blue frit inlays. The eyebrows are modelled and not in relief; the eyebrows are also somewhat arched, and the eyes are heavily outlined in black. The nipples are executed in relief. The head is titled slightly upwards. Inscription on Skirt: Ns’w di htp Skr-Ws;r ntr ‘; nb ;bdw di.f prt-hrw t hnkt ihw ;pdw n k; n im;hy S;-Hthr iri n ‘nhw msi n ddt-nbw Condition: Base chipped on right side; superficial chips from body and hands. Paint well-preserved on entire body except top of wig and left arm.
- Record Completeness: Best (92%)