Statue of a Striding Noblewoman
Egyptian sculptors carved tomb statues that were intended to provide youthful, idealized depictions of their subjects throughout time.
The garments depicted on sculptures were more likely to convey the Egyptians' sense of perfection than of reflect actual fashions. This figure's garment, far too tight to allow movement, emphasizes every curve and erogenous zone of the slender, elegant female body.
- Medium: Wood, painted
- Place Made: Egypt
- Dates: ca. 1844-1759 B.C.E.
- Dynasty: second half of XII Dynasty
- Period: Middle Kingdom
- Dimensions: 13 3/4 x 2 5/16 x 5 1/2 in. (35 x 5.8 x 14 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, Old Kingdom to 18th Dynasty, Egyptian Galleries, 3rd Floor
- Accession Number: 86.226.11
- Credit Line: Gift of the Ernest Erickson Foundation, Inc.
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Statue of a Striding Noblewoman, ca. 1844-1759 B.C.E. Wood, painted, 13 3/4 x 2 5/16 x 5 1/2 in. (35 x 5.8 x 14 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of the Ernest Erickson Foundation, Inc., 86.226.11. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Wooden statuette of standing lady, left foot slightly advanced, on a wooden base. She wears a long wig, which falls on the breasts in front and below the shoulders in back, and a tight-fitting garment beginning under the breasts and ending at the calves, which is supported by narrow straps well visible in the back. Both arms, palms flat, hang down straight. The whole figure is in one piece except for the arms and the forepart of the feet which were carved from the base block. The statuette is set into the base, but apparently not doweled. The front of the base bears on top three lines. Traces of black paint on the hair, which on the dress and red on the base. The hieroglyphs had been drawn in black and filled in with white paint. Condition: Right thumb partly missing; all figures except one, broken off left hand. Nose and toes chipped. Fissures between breasts, back of wig, rear of body, and above right ankle in front. Left arm loose. Yellow brown discoloration all over the surface on the statuette. Paint on base lost in numerous spots.
- Record Completeness: Best (82%)