Asturian Landscape (Paisaje asturiano)
Well known for his paintings of holiday makers on the beaches of his native Valencia, Sorolla departs from those luminous, sandy scenes of the Mediterranean coast for this verdant river landscape in the northern Spanish region of Asturias. The white stucco houses with their red tiled roofs contrast with the cool tones of the wide range of greens Sorolla uses to differentiate rolling fields and varieties of trees.
- Artist: Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida, Spanish, 1863-1923
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: Spain
- Dates: 1903-1904
- Dimensions: 24 3/8 x 37 1/4in. (61.9 x 94.6cm) Frame: 34 1/2 x 47 in. (87.6 x 119.4 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed and dated lower left: "J. Sorolla y Bastida 1904"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 14.559
- Credit Line: Caroline H. Polhemus Fund
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida (Spanish, 1863-1923). Asturian Landscape (Paisaje asturiano), 1903-1904. Oil on canvas, 24 3/8 x 37 1/4in. (61.9 x 94.6cm). Brooklyn Museum, Caroline H. Polhemus Fund, 14.559
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)