Freiburg in the Snow
In this image of a Swiss town blanketed by a heavy snowfall, Beaumont combines a subtle winter palette of whites, grays, and browns with energetic brushwork. He places a black-cloaked figure on a snow-covered track (indicated by gentle modulations in tone), leading the viewer diagonally into the picture and lending a human presence to an otherwise stark scene.
- Artist: Hugues de Beaumont, French, 1874-1947
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: Switzerland
- Dates: ca. 1920
- Dimensions: 21 1/4 x 25 5/8 in. (54.0 x 65.1 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower right: "Hugues de Beaumont"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 21.91
- Credit Line: Gift of Otto H. Kahn through the Committee for the Diffusion of French Art
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Hugues de Beaumont (French, 1874-1947). Freiburg in the Snow, ca. 1920. Oil on canvas, 21 1/4 x 25 5/8 in. (54.0 x 65.1 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Otto H. Kahn through the Committee for the Diffusion of French Art, 21.91
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)