The Sojourn in Egypt (Le séjour en Égypte)
Warned of impending danger in a dream, Joseph escaped Bethlehem and fled with his family to Egypt, evading Herod’s murderous plan. Carrying Jesus in her arms, Mary resumes the chores of daily life—here, fetching water—against the backdrop of the Egyptian landscape, distinguished by the palm trees and the island of Rhodes, which Tissot had sketched on one of his research trips to the Middle East in the late 1880s. Mindful of connecting the narratives of the Old and New Testaments, Tissot reminds readers that Moses was found on Rhodes by Pharaoh’s daughter.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 6 11/16 x 8 3/16 in. (17 x 20.8 cm) Sheet: 6 11/16 x 8 3/16 in. (17 x 20.8 cm) Frame: 15 x 20 x 1 1/2 in. (38.1 x 50.8 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.36
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). The Sojourn in Egypt (Le séjour en Égypte), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 6 11/16 x 8 3/16 in. (17 x 20.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.36
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)