Jesus Ministered to by Angels (Jésus assisté par les anges)
Following the deprivations in the wilderness, Jesus receives the care of angels who restore his strength. Rejecting art-historical traditions in which Jesus takes material sustenance in the form of dates and pomegranates, Tissot insists on otherworldly agency. Here blue-hued, flame-haired angels extend their fingers to touch the prostrate form of the spent Jesus, who appears to assume a cross-like position.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 6 11/16 x 9 3/4 in. (17 x 24.8 cm) Sheet: 6 11/16 x 9 3/4 in. (17 x 24.8 cm) Frame: 15 x 20 x 1 1/2 in. (38.1 x 50.8 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.54
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Jesus Ministered to by Angels (Jésus assisté par les anges), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 6 11/16 x 9 3/4 in. (17 x 24.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.54
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)