Jesus Goes Up Alone onto a Mountain to Pray (Jésus monte seul sur une montagne pour prier)
Seeking solitude for prayer following the miracle of the loaves and fishes, Jesus retreats to the peak of a mountain. Tissot’s commentary observes that such solitary moments precede many significant episodes in Jesus’ ministry, including the Ordaining of the Apostles, the Sermon of the Beatitudes, and the Transfiguration, noting Jesus’ preference for “lofty spots,” elevations near to God, for these meditative respites.
In this dramatic image, Tissot sets Jesus against a night sky, his brilliant white robes backlit by the glow of the stars and the crescent moon.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 11 3/8 x 6 1/4 in. (28.9 x 15.9 cm) Sheet: 11 3/8 x 6 1/4 in. (28.9 x 15.9 cm) Frame: 20 x 15 x 1 1/2 in. (50.8 x 38.1 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.137
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Jesus Goes Up Alone onto a Mountain to Pray (Jésus monte seul sur une montagne pour prier), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 11 3/8 x 6 1/4 in. (28.9 x 15.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.137
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)