Jesus Meets His Mother (Jésus rencontre sa mère)
Although this episode cannot be found in the Gospel accounts, Tissot presents a scene traditionally included as one of the Stations of the Cross, a series of images, venerated chiefly by Catholics, that trace the events of Jesus’ final hours. At the fourth station, he meets his mother, Mary, after he falls while carrying his cross to Calvary. Her arms extended toward her son, Mary rushes to his side, accompanied by John the Evangelist and Mary Magdalene. Her compassion stands in marked contrast to the cruelty of his tormentors, who whip him and brandish the nails that will be used to affix him to the cross.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 10 7/16 x 14 1/4 in. (26.5 x 36.2 cm) Sheet: 10 7/16 x 14 1/4 in. (26.5 x 36.2 cm) Frame: 16 7/8 x 22 7/8 x 1 1/2 in. (42.9 x 58.1 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom left: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.280
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Jesus Meets His Mother (Jésus rencontre sa mère), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 10 7/16 x 14 1/4 in. (26.5 x 36.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.280
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)