The Descent from the Cross (La descent de croix)
In an image that recalls centuries of precedents, Christ’s loved ones have gathered to draw down his body for burial. Each nail is carefully removed, Tissot explains, before the legs are swathed in linen and the body, held in a long band of material, is slowly lowered into the upraised arms of the Virgin Mary, who is clad in blue. She is joined by the Magdalene, who once more wipes the feet of Jesus, and Saint John the Evangelist, who stands at the foot of the cross holding the shroud with which Jesus will be wrapped.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 13 1/4 x 9 9/16 in. (33.7 x 24.3 cm) Sheet: 13 1/4 x 9 9/16 in. (33.7 x 24.3 cm) Frame: 20 x 15 x 1 1/2 in. (50.8 x 38.1 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom center: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.320
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). The Descent from the Cross (La descent de croix), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 13 1/4 x 9 9/16 in. (33.7 x 24.3 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.320
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)