This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
The Philosopher (Le Philosophe)
Based on a life study of a seated male bather swathed in a towel and reading a newspaper, Villon’s simultaneously geometric and organic painting blends hard- and softedged intersecting planes with the contours of a powerful, muscular body and its enveloping white drapery. Although this work developed out of an initial interest in the human form, the artist gave it a title that evokes the metaphysical realm of the intellect or the incorporeal—reflecting Villon’s own considered approach to painting.
- Artist: Jacques Villon, French, 1875-1963
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: Europe
- Dates: 1930
- Dimensions: 39 5/8 x 31 7/8in. (100.6 x 81cm) Frame: 46 x 37 1/2 in. (116.8 x 95.3 cm) Mount: 8 3/8 x 6 in. (21.3 x 15.3 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed and dated lower left: "Jacques Villon '30"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 34.1000
- Credit Line: Gift of Gerda Stein
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jacques Villon (French, 1875-1963). The Philosopher (Le Philosophe), 1930. Oil on canvas, 39 5/8 x 31 7/8in. (100.6 x 81cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Gerda Stein, 34.1000. © artist or artist's estate
- Record Completeness: Best (92%)