Apple Tree in Bloom (Pommier en fleurs)
With his signature use of zooming perspective, Caillebotte lures the viewer into the canvas with a swept path that runs the depth of the garden. His careful depiction of the garden’s strict plan complements his more informal treatment of the apple blossoms, rendered with thick touches of pink, white, and green paint. Strokes of bright orange paint hint at the roofs of the estate’s various buildings, here fragmented by the screen of the flowering tree branches.
- Artist: Gustave Caillebotte, French, 1848-1894
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: France
- Dates: ca. 1885
- Dimensions: 28 7/8 x 23 5/8 in. (73.3 x 60 cm) Frame: 37 7/8 x 32 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. (96.2 x 83.2 x 9.5 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Stamped lower right: "G. Caillebotte."
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 1992.107.2
- Credit Line: Bequest of William K. Jacobs, Jr.
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Gustave Caillebotte (French, 1848-1894). Apple Tree in Bloom (Pommier en fleurs), ca. 1885. Oil on canvas, 28 7/8 x 23 5/8 in. (73.3 x 60 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Bequest of William K. Jacobs, Jr., 1992.107.2
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)