This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Child's Side Chair, Model 426-2
- Designer: Harry Bertoia, American, born Italy, 1915-1978
- Manufacturer: H. G. Knoll Associates, Inc.
- Medium: Rubber-coated metal, metal, vinyl
- Place Manufactured: East Greenville, Pennsylvania, United States
- Dates: Designed 1950-52; Manufactured 1953
- Dimensions: (a) Chair: 20 x 13 x 12 1/2 in. (50.8 x 33 x 31.8 cm) (b) Seat pad: 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 8 3/4 in. (0.6 x 29.2 x 22.2 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Gummed label affixed to underside of seat pad: "KNOLL ASSOCIATES INC. / 320 PARK AVENUE, N.Y." with Knoll logo (two facing triangles) in red to right. Standard upholstery label sewn onto underside of pad: "DO NOT REMOVE THIS TAG / UNDER PENALTY OF LAW / ALL NEW MATERIAL CONSISTING OF / 100% LATEX FOAM RUBBER / REGISTRY NO.PA. 20628 / This article is made in compliance with an act of: Dist. of Col. approved July 3, 1926; Kansas approved March 1923; Minn. approved April 24, 1929; New Jersey revised Statues 26:10-6 to 18. La. Act 467-1948. Mass.G.L.Sec.270, Chap.B4. / (opposite is:) Certification is made that the materials in this article are described in accordance with the law. / SOLD BY (blank space) / Date of delivery (blank space) / DISTRIBUTED BY / KNOLL ASSOCIATES / 320 Park Ave. New York, N.Y."
- Collections:Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: L84.8a-b
- Credit Line: Lent by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Buchanek
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Harry Bertoia (American, born Italy, 1915-1978). Child's Side Chair, Model 426-2, Designed 1950-52; Manufactured 1953. Rubber-coated metal, metal, vinyl, (a) Chair: 20 x 13 x 12 1/2 in. (50.8 x 33 x 31.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Lent by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Buchanek, L84.8a-b. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Model 426-2; Child's side chair (a) of metal, with seat pad (b) of yellow vinyl. Chair formed by rectangular piece of white, rubber-coated wire grid bent into a continuous seat and back with rounded corners and sides. Seat bolted to supporting base composed a single length of black metal rod bent into slightly raised platform (rod starts / ends at front, rises to seat rail that runs along each side, then down to a kind of stretcher across back). This base is soldered to the tops of four canted legs, made of a single length of black metal rod bent into shape (rod starts / ends at top of back legs, runs along floor between front and back legs, and runs across front of chair at top of legs). Rectangular seat cushion is thin pad of foam rubber covered with yellow vinyl; attaches to seat with straps and snap on underside.
- Record Completeness: Good (74%)