Lamp on Separate Pricket Stand
This lamp combines a number of seemingly discrete elements. A stand with a tripod base supports a cross that in turn holds up a lamp. The lamp has a seashell-shaped cover and a ring handle on top of which is another cross.
This Christian lamp includes the common shell decoration found on the fountain depicted in the Jewish mosaic from the Naro synagogue. The same motif is also found on many Jewish tombs in Rome and ultimately derives from the seashell that bore the Greek goddess Aphrodite.
- Cultures: Islamic; Coptic
- Medium: Bronze
- Dates: ca. 6th century C.E.
- Dimensions: Lamp: 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 6 1/8 in. (8.9 x 7 x 15.6 cm) Stand: 12 1/2 x 5 1/4 in. (31.8 x 13.3 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 41.1086a-b
- Credit Line: Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Islamic. Lamp on Separate Pricket Stand, ca. 6th century C.E. Bronze, Lamp: 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 6 1/8 in. (8.9 x 7 x 15.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 41.1086a-b. Creative Commons-BY
- Record Completeness: Good (66%)