Always fascinated by the urban spectacle, Everett Shinn here captured the misty atmosphere of a rainy day along New York City’s Fifth Avenue with broad strokes of thinly layered pastels in a muted palette. The stark silhouette of a couple dressed in black stands out against the sketchily rendered surroundings. Buildings and other forms appear dematerialized in the hazy effects of inclement weather, although the distinctive triangular profile of the Flatiron Building is still recognizable.
- Artist: Everett Shinn, American, 1876-1953
- Medium: Pastel on beige, moderately thick, moderately textured laid paper.
- Dates: 1910
- Dimensions: 12 3/8 x 15 1/4 in. (31.4 x 38.7 cm) Framed: 18 1/2 x 21 1/4 in. (47 x 54 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed in pastel, lower left: "E. Shinn / 1910"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 43.227
- Credit Line: Gift of Samuel A. Lewisohn
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Everett Shinn (American, 1876-1953). Fifth Avenue, 1910. Pastel on beige, moderately thick, moderately textured laid paper., 12 3/8 x 15 1/4 in. (31.4 x 38.7 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Samuel A. Lewisohn, 43.227
- Record Completeness: Best (85%)