This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Who's Singing Off Key?
- Artist: Jay Darling, American, 1876-1962
- Medium: Ink over graphite on paper
- Dates: 1933
- Dimensions: sheet: 28 11/16 x 22 5/8 in. (72.9 x 57.5 cm) image: 27 13/16 x 21 11/16 in. (70.6 x 55.1 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: On verso, top center, collector's inscription written in black pencil: "Property of / Harold J. Baily / 3434 Bedford Ave. / Brooklyn, N.Y." and "Rec'd / Nov. 17. 33 / Published on / Nov. 7. 33"
- Signature: Signed lower right in ink: "Ding"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in artist's hand, in ink at lower right: "To Bing Bailey [sic] / Faithfully -- IN-KAI -- / FROM J. N. Darling" Autographs of some of the figures inscribed below their image: "Alfred Smith," "Hugh Johnson," and "Eleanor Roosevelt [below Franklin Delano Roosevelt]" Title inscribed in graphite in top margin of sheet, "WHO'S SINGING OFF KEY?" and in ink in bottom margin of sheet (slight variation) "WHO' SINGING OFF KEY?"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 67.62.9
- Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jay Darling (American, 1876-1962). Who's Singing Off Key?, 1933. Ink over graphite on paper, sheet: 28 11/16 x 22 5/8 in. (72.9 x 57.5 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily, 67.62.9. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Graphite sketch of Alfred Smith figure on verso
- Record Completeness: Good (73%)