This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Never Have So Many Owed So Much to So Few
- Artist: Jay Darling, American, 1876-1962
- Medium: Ink over graphite on paper
- Dates: 1944
- Dimensions: sheet: 28 5/8 x 22 11/16 in. (72.7 x 57.6 cm) image: 27 5/8 x 21 3/4 in. (70.2 x 55.2 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Stamps on verso, lower left: "RECEIVED / JUNE 9 1944 / HAROLD J. BAILY [within ring of numbers 1-12]" and "HAROLD JAMES BAILY / COUNSELOR AT LAW / 32 LIBERTY STREET, NEW YORK"
- Signature: Signed lower right in ink: "Ding"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite, lower right of image, below signature: "May 30, '44" and, along bottom edge of sheet, "'NEVER DID SO MANY OWE SO MUCH TO [SO] FEW' (HOLD FOR MEMORIAL DAY)"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 67.62.10
- Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jay Darling (American, 1876-1962). Never Have So Many Owed So Much to So Few, 1944. Ink over graphite on paper, sheet: 28 5/8 x 22 11/16 in. (72.7 x 57.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily, 67.62.10. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Loose strip of paper accompanying drawing with text written in ink, "'NEVER HAVE SO MANY OWED SO MUCH TO SO FEW'" appears to have been pasted over former title (see Inscriptions) at bottom edge of sheet
- Record Completeness: Good (73%)