Tiraz Textile Fragment with Inscriptions with Name of Caliph al-Muti'
The large, woven inscription in black on this undyed plain linen textile includes part of the Muslim profession of faith: “In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.” The strikingly bold, unadorned Kufic script of this fragment is characteristic of the pre-Fatimid period in Egypt during the second half of the tenth century and contains the name of the cAbbasid caliph al-Muti‘, who ruled from 946 to 974.
- Medium: Black linen embroidered on white linen
- Dates: 946-974
- Dimensions: 7 1/2 x 30 in. (19.1 x 76.2 cm) Frame: 1 1/4 x 9 3/4 x 32 1/16 in. (3.2 x 24.8 x 81.5 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Arts of the Islamic World
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 67.201.2
- Credit Line: Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles K. Wilkinson
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Tiraz Textile Fragment with Inscriptions with Name of Caliph al-Muti', 946-974. Black linen embroidered on white linen, 7 1/2 x 30 in. (19.1 x 76.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles K. Wilkinson, 67.201.2. Creative Commons-BY
- Record Completeness: Good (61%)