The Age of Bronze, medium-sized model, first reduction (L'Age d'airain, première réduction)
The original life-size sculpture, almost twice the size of this version, was so convincing that some accused Rodin of casting the figure directly from a live model. False accusations of "cheating" were frequent in the nineteenth century (and since), made by people offended by the way realism may disturb their assumptions about art. To our own eyes, the figure may appear somewhat idealized, though that was not the artist's intent.
- Artist: Auguste Rodin, French, 1840-1917
- Cast By: Georges Rudier Fondeur, Paris
- Medium: Bronze
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1876 (reduction probably 1903-04); cast 1967
- Dimensions: 41 1/4 x 15 x 13 in. (104.8 x 38.1 x 33 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Back of base:".Georges Rudier./.Fondeur. Paris." Base, bottom edge: "© by Musée Rodin 1967"
- Signature: Base, proper left: "A. Rodin"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Martha A. and Robert S. Rubin Pavilion, 1st Floor
- Accession Number: 68.49
- Edition: 10/12
- Credit Line: Gift of B. Gerald Cantor
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Auguste Rodin (French, 1840-1917). The Age of Bronze, medium-sized model, first reduction (L'Age d'airain, première réduction), 1876 (reduction probably 1903-04); cast 1967. Bronze, 41 1/4 x 15 x 13 in. (104.8 x 38.1 x 33 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of B. Gerald Cantor, 68.49. Creative Commons-BY
- Record Completeness: Best (88%)