This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Chapter VIII "The Animal Village," "And Spread His Wings and Flew on High"
- Portfolio/Series: from the series: "Illustrations for 'The Animal Village', an unpublished manuscript by Charles E. Lord, 68.225.22.
- Artist: Reginald Birch, American, born London, England, 1856-1943
- Medium: Black ink with touches of white correction fluid on heavy wove paper
- Dates: 1940
- Dimensions: Sheet: 19 1/2 x 14 5/16 in. (49.5 x 36.4 cm) Image: 14 x 9 1/16 in. (35.6 x 23 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed in black ink, upper right: "[circular symbol] / Birch" (signature integrated into lines of drawing, inconspicuous)
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite, lower left: 'Chap VIII / "And spread his wings and flew on high / then said: 'I really ought to cry / But the trouble is you cannot fly'- / and the ostrich answered '[why]'." '
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 68.225.14
- Credit Line: Gift of William G. Lord
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Reginald Birch (American, born London, England, 1856-1943). Chapter VIII "The Animal Village," "And Spread His Wings and Flew on High," 1940. Black ink with touches of white correction fluid on heavy wove paper, Sheet: 19 1/2 x 14 5/16 in. (49.5 x 36.4 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of William G. Lord, 68.225.14. © artist or artist's estate
- Record Completeness: Good (72%)