Museum Guide Program Fall Intern—Education
(Part-time, temporary, unpaid internship)
Requirements: The successful candidate for this position must:
- be a junior or senior pursuing a bachelor’s degree in art history, education, or a related field, or a graduate student in the same fields;
- have experience working in an art museum or related cultural organization;
- possess a desire to engage the public in meaningful dialogue about art and culture of the past and present;
- demonstrate strong communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently; and
- have an outgoing personality, approachable demeanor, and a can-do attitude.
Responsibilities: The Museum Guide Program Fall Intern will work closely with the Museum Guide Coordinator to present talks and tours to our visitors, including the general public, adult groups, college groups, and adults with disabilities. The Museum Guide Program Intern will perform the following tasks:
- Public Tours and Talks
- support the scheduling of tours and talks through an online program;
- make assignments for and communicate with the Museum Guides;
- draft tour-related information for the website and lobby;
- observe and evaluate tours;
- Museum Guide Program
- participate in the training of a new cohort of Museum Guides;
- attend regular training and facilitate workshops;
- Collection and Exhibition Research
- produce resources about the permanent collection and special exhibitions for use by educators and Museum Guides; and
- compile and share notes on curatorial presentations.
Reports to: Museum Guide Coordinator
Start and end dates: September to December 2016
Work schedule: Flexible, up to 21 hours per week
Compensation: This internship is unpaid. The Intern will be issued a Brooklyn Museum I.D. for the duration of their internship, which will provide a discount in our Shop, BKM Café, and BKM Bowl, as well as free admission to most art museums throughout the country. Academic credit may be possible.
To apply: Send a detailed résumé and cover letter by August 10, 2016, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Fall Intern Application” in the subject line.