Floor Associate (P/T, temporary)—Visitor Experience and Engagement
As part of the Visitor Experience team, Floor Associates provide a welcoming, professional, and safe environment for all Museum guests through the duration of our upcoming ticketed exhibitions: The Obama Portraits Tour, Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams, and Andy Warhol: Revelation (open August 27, 2021–June 19, 2022). Working with other Floor Associates, team members are responsible for scanning timed entry tickets, greeting visitors and answering questions, managing visitor belongings in Coat Check, and monitoring entry and check-in for special exhibitions and programs. Staff will also provide directions to other exhibitions and facilities within the Museum so visitors can navigate the building with ease. The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, can manage large crowds and remain on their feet for long periods of time, and thrives in a team-oriented environment.
A successful candidate will meet many of these requirements, and have the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Cash handling experience and ability to maintain an organized cash drawer
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to implement Museum policies in a friendly yet firm manner for the safety of both artworks and visitors
- Knowledge of the Museum’s collection and current special exhibitions as well as its history, mission, and programming, and ability to speak with enthusiasm about the exhibitions
- Excellent communication skills and capacity for teamwork under complex circumstances, including communicating clearly with colleagues across floors and treating teammates with kindness, patience, and respect
- Hospitality skills and commitment to uphold the Museum’s mission to provide fluid and inclusive customer service
- Strong organization skills and capacity to work well under pressure and in crowds
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs and to stand for long periods of time
- Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable
- Interest in an arts-related field and passion for art is a plus
- Greet all visitors with warmth and kindness, and communicate Museum policies with clarity and positivity
- Monitor timed entry into special exhibitions and scan tickets
- Coordinate with teammates to manage exhibition lines
- Answer visitor questions about the exhibition with knowledge and enthusiasm
- Staff Coat Check, which requires storing, retreiving, and organizing visitor belongings with care
- Assist visitors with wayfinding throughout the Museum and special exhibitions
- Demonstrate holistic knowledge of our exhibitions, programming, and facilities when working with visitors
Start date: Immediately
Department: Visitor Experience and Engagement
Reports to: Assistant Manager, Visitor Experience and Engagement
Position type: Part-time, temporary
Union status: Non-union
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 15–21 hours per week, Wednesdays–Sundays, with some flexibility (one weekend day per week is required) and possible additional hours during special events. This is a temporary position through the run of our special exhibitions, open August 27, 2021–June 19, 2022.
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.