As part of the Conservation team, the Housekeeper maintains artworks on open display by performing a variety of tasks including removal of accumulated dust and maintenance to ensure installation artworks function properly. The position also assists Conservators and Museum Maintainers with art handling, framing, and installing projects. This position is ideal for applicants considering a career in Conservation.
A successful candidate will meet many of these requirements, and have the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job.
- High school diploma or its equivalent; degree in an arts-related field preferred
- Previous paid experience working with collection materials
- Responsible, organized, and highly detail-oriented
- Experience and facility working with tools
- Excellent dexterity skills, ability to handle a wide variety of artworks, and capacity to manipulate both heavy and fragile objects
- Physical ability to perform manual labor requiring complete mobility, including extensive bending, stretching, kneeling, and climbing stairs and ladders, as well as carrying light and medium weight objects
- Ability to visually identify objects and read accession numbers
- Perform regular maintenance of the Period Rooms
- Clean and maintain Museum objects on display, including furniture, ceramics, glass, metals, and installation art
- Vacuum and remove accumulated dust near artworks in the galleries
- Perform heavy and/or difficult tasks, which may require working on or from vehicles, ladders, scaffolds, platforms, etc.
- Assist the Collections Management team in all Integrated Pest Management activities
- Other duties as assigned
- 100% of this position will be spent on activities related to direct care as defined by the American Association of Museums
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Manager of Collections and Collections Initiatives
Position type: Full-time
Union status: Union
FSLA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.