Skip Navigation

When you visit the Brooklyn Museum, you can use our app to ask us questions or chat about the artwork you see.

You’ll be connected with a team of art historians and educators who know our collection, can answer your questions, and can give you recommendations on what to see next. 

ASK Brooklyn Museum Bloomberg Philanthropies

Here's what people are asking.

In "The Dinner Party," where does the text on the entry banners come from?
The words come from the artist herself, Judy Chicago. The text speaks of Chicago’s hope for a more equal world, one in which women’s history and perspectives are fully recognized and integrated into all aspects of human civilization. The banners were woven at the San Francisco Tapestry Workshop and they echo some of the visual motifs of the larger overall installation.
Are the Guerrilla Girls still active? This says 2007.
Very active! They were even recently on The Colbert Show.
Cool, I wanted to join them when I was in art school.
Nice! I still want to join them!
Two faced statue?
Yes! That is a statue of Serapis who is a composite version of Zeus, and an Egyptian god, Amun (which is why he has ram's horns). On the other side is the Greek goddess and wife of Zeus, Hera. It is actually a rare sculpture in that it depicts two faces - generally this is not the case. If you head into 'Double Take,' the African Art installation in the adjacent gallery, you can find another version of Serapis, a more common version, with only one face-the composite Zeus/Amun.
What's going on here?
These had a religious connotation to propagate the idea of new life, rebirth, and fertility. Much of ancient Egyptian myth revolves around birth, death, and resurrection. The idea of fertility on all levels was central to their culture, the crops, the livestock, the continuity of the royal line.
I would like to know what style of enamel these are -- plique a jour or champleve?
Hi--great question! Let me see if we have any info on that, it may take a moment. Are you an artist who works with enamel?
Yes I am!
Very cool! These were made with champlevé.
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
You're looking at Assyrian wall reliefs. The images serve primarily propagandistic and protective purposes venerating the king and ensuring the continued prosperity of himself, his kingdom, and his people. The reliefs are carved into gypsum alabaster that would have originally been brightly painted.
Who are the Dogon?
The Dogon are a West African people living primarily in Mali. The Dogon are perhaps best known for their complex cosmology and retaining their traditional spirituality in a region that was largely converted to Islam.
Could you tell me the stories or meaning of the patterns on it? Are these art works the original pieces?
The Cartonnage of Nespanetjerenpere served to identify, protect, and transform the priest assisting in his journey from the world of the living into the world of the dead. Some of the deities represented are Anubis the jackal-headed god of mummification and the journey to Duat; Thoth the ibis-headed god of wisdom and literacy; Horus the falcon-headed god connected to the living pharaoh; Re the falcon-headed sun god; Khnum the ram-headed creator god (a winged Khnum is spread across the chest of the container protecting the heart and soul of the deceased).
All of these objects are original unless otherwise noted. Egypt's dry climate and the dark tombs many of these objects were found in helped preserve them.
Why is this here?
This was made during the Ptolemaic Period when Egypt was part of the Hellenistic (Greek) world. This sculpture incorporates traits of both artistic styles. The eye shape is especially Egyptian and both Ancient Egyptians and Hellenistic people idealized youth.
The hair looks Greek too.
Yes, very true! During the Hellenistic period, artists incorporated established forms from both Egyptian and Greek cultures into their work.
Is this the Soldiers Honoring their Lord? Can you please tell me more about this piece? The story of the relief? Can you tell me some visual characteristic that I should pay attention to?
Yes it is! You may have read in the label that these soldiers have rested their weapons on the ground and are raising their arms in veneration of their general or king. You may also notice that multiple ethnicities are represented here. You can tell the difference between people by their hair styles and facial features. The Ancient Egyptian army was made up of men from all over the area they controlled which, during the New Kingdom, included land from Sub-Saharan Africa to Mesopotamia.
The body shapes seen here are also visually interesting. Ancient Egyptian depictions of the human form are usually pretty regimented, but here you can see bodies of different shapes and sizes. The rounded-out style was common during the reign of Akhenaten when this relief was produced. You can compare that to the art styles before and after his reign and you'll notice a difference.
Okay I will.
There's also a bust of Akhenaten in the center gallery that highlights the rounded style. It represents the king these soldiers may be honoring!
ASK App ASK Team

Curious about how we developed ASK Brooklyn Museum? The project team is blogging regularly on BKM Tech, and we've open sourced our code on Github.

The words come from the artist herself, Judy Chicago. The text speaks of Chicago’s hope for a more equal world, one in which women’s history and perspectives are fully recognized and integrated into all aspects of human civilization. The banners were woven at the San Francisco Tapestry Workshop and they echo some of the visual motifs of the larger overall installation.
Two faced statue?
Yes! That is a statue of Serapis who is a composite version of Zeus, and an Egyptian god, Amun (which is why he has ram's horns). On the other side is the Greek goddess and wife of Zeus, Hera. It is actually a rare sculpture in that it depicts two faces - generally this is not the case. If you head into 'Double Take,' the African Art installation in the adjacent gallery, you can find another version of Serapis, a more common version, with only one face-the composite Zeus/Amun.
What's going on here?
These had a religious connotation to propagate the idea of new life, rebirth, and fertility. Much of ancient Egyptian myth revolves around birth, death, and resurrection. The idea of fertility on all levels was central to their culture, the crops, the livestock, the continuity of the royal line.
I would like to know what style of enamel these are -- plique a jour or champleve?
Hi--great question! Let me see if we have any info on that, it may take a moment. Are you an artist who works with enamel?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
You're looking at Assyrian wall reliefs. The images serve primarily propagandistic and protective purposes venerating the king and ensuring the continued prosperity of himself, his kingdom, and his people. The reliefs are carved into gypsum alabaster that would have originally been brightly painted.
Who are the Dogon?
The Dogon are a West African people living primarily in Mali. The Dogon are perhaps best known for their complex cosmology and retaining their traditional spirituality in a region that was largely converted to Islam.
Could you tell me the stories or meaning of the patterns on it? Are these art works the original pieces?
The Cartonnage of Nespanetjerenpere served to identify, protect, and transform the priest assisting in his journey from the world of the living into the world of the dead. Some of the deities represented are Anubis the jackal-headed god of mummification and the journey to Duat; Thoth the ibis-headed god of wisdom and literacy; Horus the falcon-headed god connected to the living pharaoh; Re the falcon-headed sun god; Khnum the ram-headed creator god (a winged Khnum is spread across the chest of the container protecting the heart and soul of the deceased).
All of these objects are original unless otherwise noted. Egypt's dry climate and the dark tombs many of these objects were found in helped preserve them.
Why is this here?
This was made during the Ptolemaic Period when Egypt was part of the Hellenistic (Greek) world. This sculpture incorporates traits of both artistic styles. The eye shape is especially Egyptian and both Ancient Egyptians and Hellenistic people idealized youth.
Yes, very true! During the Hellenistic period, artists incorporated established forms from both Egyptian and Greek cultures into their work.
Is this the Soldiers Honoring their Lord? Can you please tell me more about this piece? The story of the relief? Can you tell me some visual characteristic that I should pay attention to?
Yes it is! You may have read in the label that these soldiers have rested their weapons on the ground and are raising their arms in veneration of their general or king. You may also notice that multiple ethnicities are represented here. You can tell the difference between people by their hair styles and facial features. The Ancient Egyptian army was made up of men from all over the area they controlled which, during the New Kingdom, included land from Sub-Saharan Africa to Mesopotamia.
The body shapes seen here are also visually interesting. Ancient Egyptian depictions of the human form are usually pretty regimented, but here you can see bodies of different shapes and sizes. The rounded-out style was common during the reign of Akhenaten when this relief was produced. You can compare that to the art styles before and after his reign and you'll notice a difference.
Okay I will.
There's also a bust of Akhenaten in the center gallery that highlights the rounded style. It represents the king these soldiers may be honoring!
ASK App ASK Team

Curious about how we developed ASK Brooklyn Museum? The project team is blogging regularly on BKM Tech, and we've open sourced our code on Github.

Explore our permanent collection or a special exhibition on a guided group tour led by one of our friendly and experienced Museum Guides, or on your own with a self-guided group tour. These tours are for adult groups with at least 10 people, last about one hour, and can be tailored to meet the interests and needs of your group.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

We're renovating our second floor to bring you a better experience, which means the Libraries and Archives are closed to the public until fall 2017. If you're a researcher who would like to access our resources, send us an email and we'll do our best to assist you.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Exhibitions on the Fifth Floor

Rest rooms are on the first, second, and third floors; those on the first and third floors are wheelchair accessible. The second-floor rest rooms can be reached only via the stairs from the Schapiro Wing on the third floor. Water fountains are near the first- and third-floor rest rooms.

Pick up Assistive Listening Devices at the Admissions Desk on the first floor.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Exhibitions on the Fourth Floor

Rest rooms are on the first, second, and third floors; those on the first and third floors are wheelchair accessible. The second-floor rest rooms can be reached only via the stairs from the Schapiro Wing on the third floor. Water fountains are near the first- and third-floor rest rooms.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Exhibitions on the Third Floor

Also on the Third Floor: Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Auditorium

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Our Second Floor galleries are currently closed for renovations.

Also on the Second Floor

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Parking
Parking is available in the lot behind the Museum, off Washington Avenue. On Target First Saturdays, there's a flat rate of $6 starting at 5 p.m. Park your bicycle in the rack behind the building, next to our sculpture garden.

Shopping
Our Shop offers an eclectic mix of gifts, jewelry, books, clothing, crafts, and foods from around Brooklyn and around the world. Shop hours

Dining
Have small plates, dinner, or drinks at The Norm restaurant and bar, led by Michelin-starred Chef Saul Bolton. Or stop by the BKM Café or Bowl. Planning a group tour? Consider a catered lunch for your group.

Rest Rooms
Rest rooms are on the first and third floors (floor plan), are wheelchair accessible, and have baby-changing tables. A family rest room is located just off the main lobby.

Coat Check
A free coat check is available on the first floor, where you can leave any packages, large bags, umbrellas, or strollers.

Wheelchairs
Complimentary wheelchairs are available at the coat check on the first floor. Our entrances and rest rooms are wheelchair accessible. For more information, visit our Accessibility page.

Strollers
You're welcome to use strollers throughout the building (although from time to time there are certain areas where we might need to restrict their use, on account of small spaces, especially fragile art, or other circumstances). If necessary, leave your stroller at the coat check.

Wireless Access
We offer free wireless access throughout our galleries and grounds. During your visit, we encourage you to switch to wifi (BrooklynMuseum) for faster download speeds. The wireless project was created by the Brooklyn Museum Technology Department, with help from NYCWireless.

Go Mobile
Need information on the go? Planning your next visit? Access www.brooklynmuseum.org from your mobile phone to view our mobile-friendly website.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

We're committed to making our galleries and facilities accessible to everyone.

• We are fully wheelchair accessible. Check our online and printed floor plan for details.
  • If you need a wheelchair during your visit, they're available for free at the coat check in the lobby.
  • Companions of people with disabilities are admitted for free.
  • The parking lot behind the Museum is fully accessible. There's a free, 15-minute grace period for pickups and dropoffs.
  • If you need an assistive-listening device, they're available for free at our Admissions Desk, on the first floor.

We also offer a wide range of services for our visitors of all ages with special needs.

• For those who have low or no vision, guided visits that include verbal descriptions can be scheduled for both adult and school groups, with advance notice. We also offer Sensory Tours, monthly public tours designed to accommodate and engage both sighted and non-sighted visitors. Verbal descriptions of collection highlights are available via Art Beyond Sight.
  • For those who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, American Sign Language interpretation for both adult and school group tours can be arranged, with advance notice.
  • For those with intellectual disabilities or other special needs, we offer specially tailored guided gallery visits to adult and school groups.

We hope that you'll get in touch with us via email or at 718.501.6229 if you have questions about any of the above services, or if you'd like to make advance arrangements.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

No matter what your interest, there's a tour for you:

• Join our Museum Guides for daily public tours (free with admission) focusing on a variety of themes, eras, and movements in art.
  • Book a group tour for ten or more adults.
  • Explore tours and programs for school groups, all designed to help students and teachers construct meaningful experiences with works of art.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Exhibitions on the First Floor

Also on the First Floor

• Admissions Desk
  • Museum Shop
  • Dining (The Norm restaurant and bar; BKM Café and Bowl)

Pick up Assistive Listening Devices at the Admissions Desk.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

By Subway

2/3 to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum. Transfer to 2/3 from 4/5 (at Nevins Street) and B, D, Q, N, R, and LIRR (at Atlantic Terminal-Barclays Center). See a subway map. Make sure to check with the MTA for any service changes, especially on the weekend.

By Bus

The closest bus stops are:

B41 and B69 at Grand Army Plaza

B45 at St. Johns Place and Washington Avenue

Check with the MTA for the most up-to-date bus information.

By Car

From Manhattan:

Brooklyn Bridge; left at Tillary Street; right on Flatbush Avenue for about 1.5 miles to Grand Army Plaza; about 2/3 around Plaza; right on Eastern Parkway. We're at the first intersection (Eastern Parkway and Washington Avenue). Or: Manhattan Bridge enters directly onto Flatbush Avenue.

From Westchester, the Bronx, Queens, or Connecticut:

Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (Triborough) to Brooklyn Queens Express (BQE); Manhattan Bridge exit to Tillary Street; left onto Flatbush Avenue and proceed according to the directions from Manhattan.

From Staten Island and southern or central New Jersey:

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to Gowanus Expressway (Route 278 towards Manhattan); exit to 38th Street; left on Fourth Avenue for about 2 miles; right on Union Street; 5 blocks to Grand Army Plaza; go 1/2 around Plaza; right on Eastern Parkway. We're at first intersection (Eastern Parkway and Washington Avenue).

From northern or north central New Jersey:

George Washington Bridge/Holland or Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan; follow directions from Manhattan.

From Long Island:

Grand Central Parkway to Jackie Robinson Parkway; exit at Bushwick Avenue; left at third traffic light to Eastern Parkway; about 3 miles to Washington Avenue. We're across intersection at left.

Parking

On-site parking is available in the lot behind the Museum, off Washington Avenue. On Target First Saturdays there's a flat rate of $5 beginning at 5 p.m.

Bikes

Park your bicycle at the racks behind the Museum, next to the Sculpture Garden. Bikes are parked at your own risk; we don't accept responsibility for vandalism or theft.

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team

Two faced statue?
What's going on here?
Yes I am!
Great, thanks!
No problem!
What is this for?
Who are the Dogon?
Why is this here?
Okay I will.
ASK App ASK Team