Roundtable Discussion: Behind Closed Doors
November 16, 2013
11:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Auditorium, 3rd Floor
Join us for a day-long, bilingual
roundtable discussion about calculated collecting practices in the colonial Americas, in celebration of the exhibition Behind Closed Doors: Art in the Spanish American Home, 1492–1898
The program begins with a morning session from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., in Spanish with simultaneous English interpretation, on collecting for the home, moderated by Jorge F. Rivas Pérez, former Curator of Colonial Art at the Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros.
The afternoon session, which will be held in English from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., explores adorning the colonial body and will be moderated by Richard Aste, Curator of European Art at the Brooklyn Museum. Collecting and signaling status through dress also connect with our fall exhibition The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk
- Gustavo Curiel, Research Fellow, Instituto de Investigaciones Estéticas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- María Del Pilar López Pérez de Bejarano, Associate Professor, Instituto de Investigaciones Estéticas, Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Barbara E. Mundy, Associate Professor of Art History, Fordham University
- Linda Rodríguez, Postdoctoral Fellow, Art History Department, New York University
- Caroline Weber, Associate Professor of French, Barnard College
- Luis Eduardo Wuffarden, Independent Lima Scholar and Curator
This event is co-sponsored by the Brooklyn Museum and the Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros. Additional support provided by PAMAR's 8th Annual Latin American Cultural Week.
Tickets are $12, include Museum admission and a guided tour of the exhibition, and are available at www.museumtix.com
or our Visitor Center. A box lunch will be available on the day of the event for an additional $15; please email Adult Programs
by November 7 to reserve a lunch.
Museum Members receive free admission; call the Membership Hotline at (718) 501-6326 or email Membership