Bowl of Reflections
- Medium: Ceramic; fritware, painted in luster and blue over an opaque white glaze
- Geographical Locations:
- Dates: early 13th century
- Dimensions: 3 3/8 x 13in. (8.6 x 33cm)
- Inscriptions: A partial reading of the inner inscription (in Persian) band is: "Oh you whose intent is to hurt me for months and years, who are free from me and cheerful at the anguish of my heart. You promised me not to break your promise anymore, it is I, dear, who have caused this break." (Bahrami 1949, 120).
Translated by Wheeler Thackston on 12/30/09:
Chun nist darin zamana-i 'ahdshikan
yak dost ki 'aqibat nagardad dushman.
Tanha'i kunun guzinam daman
ba khweshtanam khwashast z' in pas man man.
Since in these days of infidelity there is friend who does not eventually become an enemy,
I now choose to wrap myself in solitude and henceforth amuse myself by myself.
Ay zarif-i jahan salam 'alayk
Inna da'i wa-sihhati bi-yadayk.
Gar ba khidmat namirasam chi 'ajab>
Inna r-ruha wa'l-fu ada ladayk.
Daru-yi dard-i banda chist bigu.
Qablatan law ruziqtu min shafatayk.
Gar ba yak roz sayd-i khwad-ra guft
Qum sahihan fa-qala dhaka 'alayk.
Az tu ayam bar-i tu ham ba fighan
Ah wa'l-mustaghathu minka ilayk.
O most graceful one in the world, peace be with you: my misery and health are in your hands.
If I cannot come to see you, why should that be strange? My spirit and heart are with you.
Tell me what the remedy for my pain is. If only I could be given a kiss from your lips. If only one day you would say to your prey, "Arise in health," and then would say, "It is yours."
I come into your embrace with a complaint of you. Alas, the one asked for help against you is dependent upon you.
Ay ray-i tu sal u mah azurdan-i man
farigh zi man u shad ba gham-khwardan-i man
Gufti nakunam ba tu digar bad'ahdi
in tez nakardan-i tu dar gardan-i man.
O you whose intention it is to torment me for years and months,
Unconcerned with me and happy over my sorrow.
You said, "I won't break my promises to you any longer."
This not sharpening of yours is also on my neck.
- Collection: Arts of the Islamic World
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5H2, TOP
- Accession Number: 86.227.16
- Image: 86.227.16_top_PS2.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2008