The slightly turned view of the face and the sidelong gaze seen here are characteristic of self-portraits, which were often done while looking in a mirror. This method produces a reverse image of the subject (compare Max Weber's portrait of Walkowitz, also on this screen, in which the part in the hair appears on the opposite side).
- Artist: Abraham Walkowitz
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: 1908
- Dimensions: 21 1/4 x 18 1/2 in. (54 x 47 cm)
- Signature: Signed upper left in black: "A. WALKOWITZ / 1908"; signed lower left: A Walkowitz / 1908"; signed verso on stretcher: "Walkowitz / A Portrait"
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5Q12-LUCE, Unit 16, SCR E
- Accession Number: 44.69
- Image: 44.69_print_bw.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,