Judas Goes to Find the Jews (Judas va trouver les Juifs)
In two short verses, Mark recounts the deal struck between Judas and the chief priests, who will give him money to betray Jesus. Here, Judas negotiates his fee (he is shown with his fingers raised).
With his suspicious backward glance at the exchange between Judas and the priests, the unidentified foreground figure draws the viewer’s attention to the proceedings.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 7 3/16 x 10 in. (18.3 x 25.4 cm) Sheet: 7 3/16 x 10 in. (18.3 x 25.4 cm) Frame: 15 x 20 x 1 1/2 in. (38.1 x 50.8 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom left: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.216
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Judas Goes to Find the Jews (Judas va trouver les Juifs), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 7 3/16 x 10 in. (18.3 x 25.4 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.216
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)