This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
- Designer: Isamu Noguchi, American, 1904-1988
- Manufacturer: Kurz-Kasch Inc.
- Medium: Bakelite plastic
- Place Manufactured: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Dates: Designed in 1937. ca. 1938
- Dimensions: 8 x 6 1/2 x 6 in. (20.3 x 16.5 x 15.2 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Molded stamp on back: "ZENITH / RADIO / (figure in bed) / NURSE / DESIGNED BY NOGUCHI / Patent APPLIED FOR / 117 VOLTS 50/60 CYCLE 25 WATTS / ZENITH RADIO CORP. , CHICAGO"
- Collections:Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: 88.67
- Credit Line: Designated Purchase Fund
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Isamu Noguchi (American, 1904-1988). Radio Nurse, Designed in 1937. ca. 1938. Bakelite plastic, 8 x 6 1/2 x 6 in. (20.3 x 16.5 x 15.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Designated Purchase Fund, 88.67. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: "Radio Nurse," molded plastic Bakelite. A short wave radio, cast in two halves, front and back, creating a spherical object resembling a masked human head. Front has molded horizontal slats (microphone receiver) covered internally with brown fabric; top has a decorative element consisting of a segment-shaped projecting strip aligning with, and eventually merging with, the radio back. Lower extremities of back form two legs, which are reinforced with cylindrical brown Bakelite cross-stretcher, secured by metal screws. Back has eight molded, vertical air vents. Bottom has rectangular opening, which accommodates a brown rubber electrical cord flanked by a vertical vent on either side, and followed below by a rotating circular volume control knob. CONDITION: Radio: excellent, little rusting and oxidation around screw heads; rubber electrical cord is dried and cracked overall.
- Record Completeness: Good (78%)