This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
- Artist: Jose de Creeft, American, born Spain, 1884-1982
- Medium: Stone, head of black porphory (?) and base of red granite (?)
- Dates: 1938
- Dimensions: Overall: 24 7/16 x 23 3/4 x 14 1/8 in. (62.1 x 60.3 x 35.9 cm) Head only: 17 x 11 x 9 in. (43.2 x 27.9 x 22.9 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Inscribed on back of head, near bottom: "JOSE de CREEfT / 38"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 1992.11.7a-c
- Credit Line: Bequest of Edith and Milton Lowenthal
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jose de Creeft (American, born Spain, 1884-1982). Iberica, 1938. Stone, head of black porphory (?) and base of red granite (?), Overall: 24 7/16 x 23 3/4 x 14 1/8 in. (62.1 x 60.3 x 35.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Bequest of Edith and Milton Lowenthal, 1992.11.7a-c. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Abstracted head of black stone mounted on irregular, trapezoidally shaped reddish stone base. Head is carved from irregularly shaped stone that is roughly hewn to form hair and is flat in back; ovoid face is smoothly polished, squared nose forms continuous, curving profile from forehead to nose, eyes are closed, slanted and asymmetrical, mouth is oval shaped. Base is roughly hewn with jagged edges and is wider in back than in front. Condition: Good
- Record Completeness: Good (75%)