Misty Morning, Coast of Maine
The influence of William Trost Richards is evident in this work’s coastal subject matter, careful execution, and vaporous atmospheric effects. Parton studied with Richards in Philadelphia from 1859 to 1861 and remained close with the elder artist throughout his life, even going on a sketching expedition with him in the Adirondacks.
- Artist: Arthur Parton, American, 1842-1914
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: ca. late 1860s
- Dimensions: 9 1/8 x 17 5/16 in. (23.2 x 44 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower left (initials in monogram): "AP"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 06.31
- Credit Line: Bequest of Caroline H. Polhemus
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Arthur Parton (American, 1842-1914). Misty Morning, Coast of Maine, ca. late 1860s. Oil on canvas, 9 1/8 x 17 5/16 in. (23.2 x 44 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Bequest of Caroline H. Polhemus, 06.31
- Record Completeness: Best (85%)