This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Raphael Soyer approached pastel in a relatively conservative manner, entirely covering the paper with carefully modeled forms. Elements of this composition (including the strong vertical elements that break up the space), as well as the subject of dancers, make reference to the work of the French Impressionist and progressive pastellist Edgar Degas.
- Artist: Raphael Soyer, American, born Russia, 1899-1987
- Medium: Pastel on grey wove paper
- Dates: ca. 1935-1940
- Dimensions: 24 1/4 x 18 1/8 in. (61.6 x 46 cm) Framed: 28 3/4 x 22 3/4 in. (73 x 57.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower right in graphite: "RAPHAEL SOYER"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 40.85
- Credit Line: Museum Collection Fund
- Rights Statement: © Estate of Raphael Soyer
- Caption: Raphael Soyer (American, born Russia, 1899-1987). Two Dancers, ca. 1935-1940. Pastel on grey wove paper, 24 1/4 x 18 1/8 in. (61.6 x 46 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Museum Collection Fund, 40.85. © Estate of Raphael Soyer
- Record Completeness: Best (83%)