This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Outside Were Trees - Birds and Sky
- Artist: Ludwig Bemelmans, American, born Austria, 1898-1962
- Medium: Watercolor and ink on paper
- Dates: 1939
- Dimensions: sheet: 19 5/16 x 14 1/4 in. (49.1 x 36.2 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed in ink, lower right: "Bemelmans"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in ink, bottom center: "outside were trees -- birds and sky -- / and ten [days] went quickly by --"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 41.53
- Credit Line: Dick S. Ramsay Fund
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Ludwig Bemelmans (American, born Austria, 1898-1962). Outside Were Trees - Birds and Sky, 1939. Watercolor and ink on paper, sheet: 19 5/16 x 14 1/4 in. (49.1 x 36.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Dick S. Ramsay Fund, 41.53. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Ink outline sketch on verso, struck through with red pencil. Illustration for Ludwig Bemelmans, "Madeline" (1939)
- Record Completeness: Good (72%)