The slightly turned view of the face and the sidelong gaze seen here are characteristic of self-portraits, which were often done while looking in a mirror. This method produces a reverse image of the subject (compare Max Weber's portrait of Walkowitz, also on this screen, in which the part in the hair appears on the opposite side).
- Artist: Abraham Walkowitz, American, born Siberia, 1878-1965
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: 1908
- Dimensions: 21 1/4 x 18 1/2 in. (54 x 47 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed upper left in black: "A. WALKOWITZ / 1908"; signed lower left: A Walkowitz / 1908"; signed verso on stretcher: "Walkowitz / A Portrait"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 44.69
- Credit Line: Gift of the artist
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Abraham Walkowitz (American, born Siberia, 1878-1965). Self-Portrait 1908, 1908. Oil on canvas, 21 1/4 x 18 1/2 in. (54 x 47 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of the artist, 44.69
- Record Completeness: Best (83%)