This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
A Salute to Our Treasured Memories
- Artist: Jay Darling, American, 1876-1962
- Medium: Ink and graphite on paper
- Dates: 1943
- Dimensions: sheet: 28 5/8 x 22 5/8 in. (72.7 x 57.5 cm) image: 27 3/4 x 21 13/16 in. (70.5 x 55.4 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Stamped on verso, lower right: "JUNE 7 1943 / HAROLD JAMES BAILY / COUNSELOR AT LAW / 32 LIBERTY STREET, NEW YORK"; embossed seal on verso at lower left: "CRESCENT / BRISTOL" within rectangle with rounded corners
- Signature: Signed lower right in ink: "Ding"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed recto, in ink, at lower right above signature: "To BING BAILY / with assurance for high esteem / faithfully in --KAI-- / Jay N. Darling"; inscribed around border of image, in ink: at top, "A SALUTE TO OUR TREASURED MEMORIES." and, at bottom, "FOR MAY 31' ISSUE. 1943."; inscribed verso, in green ink at lower right: "Cartoon approved / May 31, 1943. (Memorial / Day) / Received."
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 67.62.13
- Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jay Darling (American, 1876-1962). A Salute to Our Treasured Memories, 1943. Ink and graphite on paper, sheet: 28 5/8 x 22 5/8 in. (72.7 x 57.5 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mrs. Harold J. Baily, 67.62.13. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Affixed to verso of drawing, page from "New York Herald Tribune" (Monday, May 31, 1943), page 10, on which cartoon appears in reproduction at upper right, above poem "Memorial to All Heroes" by Charles Malam (size of cartoon in newspaper, 7 3/16 x 5 5/8")
- Record Completeness: Good (73%)