Adult Learning Teaching Artist [HHArt of Medicine] (P/T, Temporary)—Education
In partnership with NYC Health + Hospitals, the Brooklyn Museum seeks a seasoned teaching artist with exceptional gallery teaching experience to co-facilitate HHArt of Medicine, our art-based program for hospital staff, on-site at H+H’s various campuses. There are two to four sessions per month.
HHArt of Medicine provides a space for hospital staff across New York City to reflect on the losses we’ve collectively experienced as a result of the extended COVID-19 crisis (loneliness, missed opportunities, unknown futures, and death). Through art-making and facilitated discussions around artworks from H+H’s art collection, HHArt of Medicine seeks to offer rest and resilience for hospital workers by providing time for and fostering self-care, conversation, and connection.
- Extensive experience as a museum educator and a demonstrated history of work of utilizing the arts to facilitate conversation and self-reflection
- Demonstrated ability to successfully engage adults from diverse backgrounds
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity to maintain strong relationships with multiple agencies and organizations, both on-site and in the larger community
- Ability to regularly assess performance and integrate feedback as needed
- Creative problem-solving abilities and passion for work at the intersection of art and healing
- Interest in slow looking and how the arts can promote health and wellness
- In collaboration with an art therapist, utilize existing curricula to co-lead a highly engaging 75-minute gallery- and studio-based program for up to twenty-five hospital staff at H+H campus hospitals across the five boroughs, two to four times per month
- Support materials prep and clean-up before and after each session, including possibly assisting with transportation support from the Museum to H+H campus hospitals on rare occasions
- Participate in an onboarding and orientation meeting, including a program observation, prior to teaching
- Participate in periodic reflection sessions with Brooklyn Museum and HHArt of Medicine staff to critically reflect on and strengthen session design
Start date: February 3, 2023
Reports to: Senior Manager of Adult Learning
Position type: Part-time
Salary: $400 per day for teaching sessions and $75 per hour for planning meetings
Union status: UAW Local 2110
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: The position runs from February through July 2023.
Planning: Weekday scheduled meetings and observation times to be determined: Up to four hours per month (February–July 2023)
Teaching: Two to four sessions per month; each session runs for 120–150 minutes. Sessions usually take place Monday–Friday, between the hours of 9 am to 2 pm, and are located at various hospital sites across Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens.
Application deadline: December 23, 2022
In your cover letter, please describe the key aspects of your teaching philosophy and how your pedagogical approach and/or artistic practice connects to creating space for rest and resilience.
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. So if much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.