Assistant Museum Maintainer / Assistant Collections Maintainer
The Brooklyn Museum is a world-renowned cultural institution dedicated to preserving and showcasing art, history, and heritage. Our mission is to create inspiring encounters with art that expand the ways we see ourselves, the world, and its possibilities. Our vision is to serve as an institution where great art and courageous conversations are catalysts for a more connected, civic, and empathetic world. Celebrating our differences and learning about our diverse communities through our collections, exhibitions, and programming is the core of who we are and what we do.
We are committed to creating and cultivating a diverse community of talented, passionate people who are inspired to make the Museum an important hub of community activity and a great global destination. Our staff have the opportunity to grow their professional skills and work collaboratively with colleagues they admire and respect.
About the role
The Assistant Museum Maintainer / Assistant Collections Maintainer performs a variety of tasks to maintain the artworks on display, including removal of accumulated dust and maintenance to ensure installations function properly. The position also assists Conservators and Museum Maintainers with art handling, framing, and installation projects.
This position is ideal for applicants considering a career in collections care. One hundred percent of this position is related to direct care of the collection as defined by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM).
- Perform regular maintenance of the Period Rooms
- Clean and maintain Museum objects on display, including furniture, ceramics, glass, metals, and installation artworks
- Vacuum and remove accumulated dust near artworks in the galleries
- Perform heavy and/or difficult tasks, which may require working on or from vehicles, ladders, scaffolds, platforms, etc.
- Assist with art and mount storage, art movement, art gathering, and study presentation
- Create storage housings, apply accession numbers, and maintain storage
- Assist the Collections Management team with all Integrated Pest Management activities
- Assist with installations
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent; degree in an arts- or museum studies–related field preferred
- Previous paid experience working with collection materials
- Responsible, organized, and highly detail-oriented
- Experience and facility working with tools
- Excellent dexterity skills, ability to handle a wide variety of artworks, and capacity to manipulate heavy, lightweight, and fragile objects
- Physical ability to perform manual labor requiring complete mobility, including extensive bending, stretching, kneeling, and climbing stairs and ladders
- Ability to visually identify objects and read accession numbers
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Chief Conservator
Position type: Full-time
Union status: Union—DC37 Local 1502
FLSA status: Nonexempt
Schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–5 pm
If you have questions about our online application system, get in touch with us at email@example.com.