Assistant Director of Institutional Giving—Development
The Brooklyn Museum seeks an Assistant Director, Institutional Giving, to join the Museum’s Development department during a period of dynamic growth. This position will work to build the Museum’s institutional giving program ahead of the Museum’s two hundredth anniversary celebration in 2024.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Six or more years of experience in grant writing and project management, with advanced knowledge of institutional giving and foundation support in arts organizations in New York City and beyond
- Demonstrated experience preparing successful grant proposals from sophisticated funders
- Ability to manage prospect pipelines independently, set priorities, perform under deadlines, handle multiple projects, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage relationships with major funders and anticipate funder needs
- Comprehensive understanding of budget development processes
- Ability to work in partnership with Finance and other departments to develop budgets for proposals and reporting
- Exceptional writing and organizational skills with an ability to learn quickly on the job
- Team leadership, strong verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- An energetic and entrepreneurial spirit with a deep commitment to the goals of the organization and a desire to impact change and growth of the program
- Strong proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook, and database experience
- Oversee the institutional giving portfolio and the preparation of applications, renewals, and reports for grants, ensuring that deliverables are aligned with funder requirements and tailored to funder priorities, and that materials reflect the Museum’s mission in a compelling way
- Lead short- and long-term strategic planning as well as the development of cultivation and solicitation strategies, while evaluating existing methods
- Handle key aspects of stewardship including writing reports and liaising with program officers, directors, donors, etc.
- Work with the Finance team to interpret financial information and prepare budgets and financial reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Museum’s mission and vision, as well as our collections, special exhibitions, educational offerings, and public programs, in order to effectively articulate our fundraising priorities to donors and prospects
- Work collaboratively with managers across divisions
- Work closely with colleagues across departments to develop proposal narratives
- Collaborate with the Interim Director of Corporate and Institutional Giving and Museum leadership to identify the best path to building a robust institutional giving program, which could include adding new positions to grow the department
- Partner with the Interim Director to set annual revenue goals, create and implement fundraising plans and strategies, and measure and report on progress
- Partner with leadership to expand institutional funding revenue, including by identifying new opportunities and new potential partners, and strategizing how to engage them
Start date: Immediately
Department: Institutional Fundraising
Reports to: Interim Director of Corporate and Institutional Giving
Position type: Full-time
Grade and salary: E - $99,960
Union status: Nonunion
FLSA status: Exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm (flexibility to work from home two days per week)
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. If much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.