The Brooklyn Museum seeks to hire a Curatorial Administrator (CA) to support the research, care, refinement, and exhibition of the Museum’s world-renowned collections in alignment with our mission and strategic plan. Reporting to the Director of Curatorial Affairs (DCA) and working closely with the Deputy Director for Art and entire curatorial team, as well as other departments, the CA ensures the collections are aligned with all activities, from acquisitions to presentations.
Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.
- BA in art history, museum studies, and/or museum administration
- Two or more years of museum administration/curatorial experience
- Two years of experience overseeing departmental budgets
- Experience working with members of a board of trustees
- Independent and self-directed, with the ability to take initiative and anticipate actions when needed
- Strong communicator (verbal and written) and collaborator with the ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders including staff, donors, Trustees, community members, and other partners
- Ability to make connections across collections and build effective cross-departmental relationships
- Understanding of, and demonstrated commitment to, diverse communities served locally, nationally, and internationally
- High level of integrity with ethics and values that are institutionally aligned
- MA in art history, museum studies, and/or museum administration
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Word and PowerPoint) and Google Workspace
- In partnership with the DCA, and in close collaboration with the Curatorial departments and Registration and Collections Management department, oversee all administration of quarterly Collections Committee meetings
- Prepare curators and Committee Chair(s) on the creation of agendas and materials in a professional and timely manner
- Manage all needed post-meeting follow-up/recommendations
- Lead process for proposal and selection of Museum Spotlights
- Track annual collection rotations in all curatorial departments and update internal teams
- Manage collection installations in the Director’s suite and other non-gallery spaces
- Work with curators and Operations to make sure galleries are well maintained
- Work with Registration to track progress of all curators’ deaccession plans; serve as liaison between Museum (staff and Board) and auction house specialists for major deaccessions; manage contacts, schedule visits, share reports with team, etc.
- Support exhibitions as assigned by DCA
- Execute other administrative responsibilities as needed
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Director of Curatorial Affairs
Position type: Full-time
Grade and salary: H - $69,360
Union status: Union—UAW Local 2110
FLSA status: Exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm
If you have questions about our online application system, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. If much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.