Floor Associate (P/T, Temporary)—Visitor Experience
The Floor Associate is responsible for checking in guests, managing lines, and working in Coat Check, storing coats and bags during special events, rentals, and programs after hours. Coat Check is a high-energy role and requires a welcoming presence and strong communication skills while explaining Museum policy. Coat Check can quickly become busy during inclement weather; the ability to remain calm, positive, and organized under moments of pressure and a large crowd is essential. Each member of our team must uphold the Museum’s mission to provide customer service that is welcoming and inclusive to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or age.
- High school degree or equivalent required. Interest in an arts-related field preferred. A love of art and for the Museum a plus.
- Availability to work programs, special events, and rental events after regular hours of operation, particularly nights and weekends
- Demonstrable skills in customer service in a fast-paced environment required
- Ability to enact Museum policies in a friendly and firm manner
- Ability to stay organized, multitask, and work well within a team in high-pressure environment
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand during long periods of the shift, and work on your feet
- Proficiency in language(s) other than English a plus
- Greet all guests and visitors with warmth and kindness, while effectively communicating policies and guidelines
- Manage lines, relying on organizational skills and coordination with teammates
- Monitor entry into the museum, program space, or exhibition and check in guests
- Staff Coat Check, storing, retrieving, and organizing visitor’s belongings with care
- Treat your colleagues and peers with the utmost courtesy and respect
- Demonstrate holistic knowledge of the Brooklyn Museum’s exhibitions, programming, and facilities. Staff members will be given time to become familiar with the Museum.
Start date: Immediately
Department: Visitor Experience
Reports to: Assistant Manager of Visitor Experience and Engagement
Position type: Part-time
Union status: Union-UAW Local 2110
Hourly rate: $16/hour
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 10–21 hours per week, depending on the number of events. Shifts will often take place after Museum hours, including nights and weekends. The Museum is open Wednesday–Sunday, 11 am–6 pm.
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. So if much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.