Senior Manager, Public Relations and Communications
The Public Relations and Communications department plays a critical role in shaping and representing the Brooklyn Museum’s brand identity and overseeing external communications to support our mission and vision. The department helps to create and execute a communications strategy for external consumption, including by the media, the public, and local communities, with the goals of advancing the Museum's profile, exhibitions, and programs and increasing awareness of our impact. It is a vital arm of the institution and interacts with all other departments, including Exhibitions, Education, Public Programs, Visitor Experience, Graphic Design, Development, Security, and Marketing.
The Brooklyn Museum will be celebrating important milestones in 2024, including the launch of a refreshed brand and visual identity and its two hundredth anniversary. This is an important opportunity to position and amplify the Museum’s brand, grow audiences, and strengthen our financial foundations for a brighter future. The Senior Manager of Public Relations and Communications will play an integral role in shaping the institutional PR campaigns for all these occasions and more.
- Minimum of BA or BS (English or communications strongly preferred)
- Five to seven years of work experience in public relations, museums, or a related field
- Strong time management skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks, adhere to deadlines, and work independently and as part of a team
- Strong multichannel strategic communication skills and media contacts
- Experience managing team members, along with volunteers and/or interns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative, resourceful, entrepreneurial mindset, with a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality
- Ability and interest in maintaining a thorough working knowledge of the Museum’s strategic plan, mission, and vision—as well as the permanent collection, education offerings, and public programs
- Support strategic communications across the institution, working closely with the Director of Public Relations and Communications and executive leadership team
- Work collaboratively with other museum departments on projects, as well as appropriate external stakeholders
- Manage multiple PR campaigns from conception to completion, promoting the Museum’s exhibitions, events, and public programs
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with domestic and international media covering art and lifestyle news
- Manage and direct day-to-day activities of other staff members and volunteers
- Write, edit, and promote all media materials (e.g., press releases, media alerts, briefing documents) relating to Museum exhibitions, programs, events, news, etc.
- Monitor and internally share press coverage on assigned projects
- Respond to media requests for information and images
- Manage and oversee press events, including press previews and exhibition openings
- Support internal staff communications, including newsletters and intranet updates
- Meet other responsibilities as assigned
Start date: Immediately
Department: Public Relations and Communications
Reports to: Director of Public Relations and Communications
Position type: Full-time
Grade and salary: F - $90,780
Union status: Nonunion
FLSA status: Exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm
If you have questions about our online application system, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. If much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.