Special Exhibition Floor Associate (P/T, Temporary)—Visitor Experience and Engagement
The primary role of this position is to welcome visitors into the Museum, scan timed tickets at the entrance to our special exhibitions, and work in Coat Check, storing coats and backpacks for visitors while they explore the Museum. Greeting visitors and monitoring timed entry into the ticketed exhibitions requires a welcoming presence and excellent communication skills. The Coat Check requires this person to be on their feet for long periods of time and work diligently to store and retrieve visitors’ belongings. The ideal candidate can multitask with ease and possesses strong hospitality, organizational, and teamwork skills. The ability to maintain a positive attitude while working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment is crucial.
This is a temporary position for the duration of our ticketed exhibition, Virgil Abloh: “Figures of Speech,” which runs from July 1, 2022, to January 29, 2023.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required, and an interest in an arts-related field is preferred
- Experience with handling cash and the ability to maintain an organized cash drawer
- Ability to effectively communicate the Museum’s various ticketing policies to visitors
- Ability to provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced setting
- Knowledge of the Museum’s current exhibitions and programming, a love of art, and an interest in the Museum
- Ability to work well within a team is crucial to this position—we aim to foster a collaborative work culture based on kindness and mutual support
- Ability to lift up to twenty pounds and work on your feet
- Proficiency in language(s) other than English is a plus
- Greet all visitors with warmth and kindness while effectively communicating exhibition guidelines and ticketing policies
- Manage lines for the exhibition through strong organizational skills and effective communication with staff and visitors
- Monitor timed entry into the exhibition and scan tickets
- Staff Coat Check, which requires storing, organizing, and retrieving visitors’ belongings
- Treat your peers with the utmost courtesy and respect to create a positive work environment for the entire team
- Demonstrate a holistic knowledge of the Museums’ exhibitions, programming, and facilities. Although this role will primarily be stationed at the exhibition entrance for Virgil Abloh: “Figures of Speech,” all staff members will be given time to explore the collection and become familiar with the Museum
- Provide directions to other exhibitions and facilities within the Museum in order for visitors to navigate the building with ease
- Availability to work occasional special events after regular hours of operation. This will include scanning tickets and working in Coat Check. Shifts will be assigned on a rotating basis
- Must be available to work on the first Saturday of each month during the Museum’s First Saturday programming
Starting date: Immediately
Department: Visitor Experience and Engagement
Reports to: Associate Manager of Visitor Experience
Position type: Part-time, temporary
Salary: $16 per hour
Union status: Union—UAW Local 2110
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 15–21 hours per week on average. One weekend day a week is required. The Museum is open from 11 am to 6 pm, from Wednesday to Sunday, and shifts are assigned between 10:30 am and 6 pm. Working special events after regular hours of operation is mandatory and will be assigned on a rotating basis. The first Saturday of the month is a required and mandatory shift.
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. So if much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.