In this paid internship, New York City teens explore art, education, and museum careers while building their résumés by assisting teaching artists in art classes for students of all ages.
Creative Practice teens:
- Meet artists, educators, and Museum staff to see how various forms of artistic practice can promote social justice and community liberation
- Connect with like-minded teens from across NYC and collaborate on creative projects relating to museum exhibitions
- Learn how to work with audiences of all ages and abilities
- Discuss topics at the intersection of art, fashion, design, and social justice to make connections between art, ourselves, and our world
- Create art expressing their own interpretation of these topics
- Assist in a Gallery/Studio Program, including preparing studios and materials, learning techniques for lesson planning, and practicing classroom management
- Strengthen communication, collaboration, time management, and organizational skills
Get paid $15 per hour, and work up to 120 hours for the year! MetroCards will be provided to support weekend work.
This program is open to all NYC teens ages 15–19 who are enrolled in high school as a sophomore, junior, or senior as of fall 2023. The program will take place in person from September 2023 through May 2024.
All Creative Practice teens must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
- Thursdays: select weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Fridays: occasional teen staff events and field trips, to be determined
- Weekends: assisting in an art class for three hours per semester (October 1–December 17 and early March–mid-May)
Due to Creative Practice’s large time commitment, this internship is not recommended for teens with multiple extracurriculars and/or obligations.
Applications for 2023–24 are now closed. Check back in June 2024 for information on the 2024–25 program year.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.
Interested in taking an art class? Our Gallery/Studio Program offers classes for teens ages 14–17, and scholarships are available.