In this paid internship, New York City teens immerse themselves in art and art history, and learn about museum education while creating their own lessons for audiences of all ages.
- Meet artists and curators to learn about art and the Brooklyn Museum’s collections
- Discuss critical topics in the field of museum education, such as working with the public school system and the role of museums in social justice movements
- Connect with education staff and get trained on how to use artworks to teach people of all ages and abilities
- Assist with family programs such as F.A.M. (Family Art Magic)
- Develop tours and teach summer camp groups
- Learn about education programming in a museum setting, and work to make connections between art and our world
- Build public speaking, lesson planning, research, and teaching skills
- Strengthen communication, collaboration, time management, and organizational skills
Get paid $15 per hour. Second-year Museum Apprentices serve as leaders in the program and are paid $16 per hour. Work up to 180 hours for the year! MetroCards will be provided to support weekend and summer work.
This program is open to all NYC high school students ages 14–19 and will take place in person November 2023 through August 2024.
All Apprentices must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
November 2023–June 2024:
- Thursdays: weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Fridays: occasional teen staff events and field trips, to be determined
- Weekends: occasional family events and pop-up talks, to be determined
- Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 9:30 am–4:30 pm
How to apply:
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.