In this paid internship, New York City teens explore art, education, and mental health, and work with our teaching artists to assist in classes for students of all ages.
- Meet artists, educators, and curators to see how art and exhibitions can be used to promote healing and community liberation
- Connect with teaching artists and learn techniques for lesson planning and classroom management
- Get training on how to work with audiences of all ages and abilities
- Discuss topics such as mental health and social justice to make connections between art, ourselves, and our world
- Make art expressing their own interpretation of those topics
- Assist in a Gallery/Studio Program art class, including preparing studios and materials
- Develop community programming ideas with artists, educators, curators, healers, and designers, and create a “healing room” as part of an upcoming exhibition
- Strengthen their communication, collaboration, and organizational skills, and develop a sense of time management and responsibility
Get paid $15 per hour, and work up to 54 hours during the semester! Metrocards will be provided for weekend work.
To apply, you need to be 1) a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, 2) at least 14 years old, and 3) able to commit to the work schedule below, which takes place September through December, 2021. Most program meetings will be in person, with some virtual gatherings throughout the year. Interviews will be conducted virtually.
- Thursdays, 5–7 pm: Weekly art and healing workshops
- Saturdays or Sundays: Assist in one art class
- Additional Friday programs or independent work as needed
How to apply:
- Submit an online application, including one letter of recommendation, by September 2
- Teachers/mentors can submit letters of recommendation online
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.
Interested in taking an art class? Our Gallery/Studio Program offers classes for teens ages 14–17, and scholarships are available.