Medium: Zinc sheeting
Dimensions: Mounted: 82 x 36 x 69 in. (208.3 x 91.4 x 175.3 cm)
Museum Location: Steinberg Family Sculpture Garden, 1st Floor
Accession Number: 66.251.1
Catalogue Description: Roaring lion head, with forelegs and paws extending. One of three originally associated with the elaborate carousel "El Dorado," manufactured in Leipzig, Germany, by Hugo Haase, for William II, emperor of Germany and King of Prussia, imported for Coney Island in 1910. It was originally installed on Surf Avenue, either near Dreamland or Luna Park (accounts differ). After the 1911 fire which devasted Dreamland, the carousel was relocated to Steeplechase Park, but the front facade, which included the lions, was separated from the carousel and installed as a doorway to the "Barrel of Fun." The entire facade was dismantled and discarded in 1923, except for the three zinc lions. They remained at Steeplechase Park until 1966, when they were finally dismantled and sold. The carousel was purchased for use at the 1970 Osaka World's Fair, and is currently in use at the Toshimaen Amusement Park in Tokyo.